Donnerstag, 25. September 2014

Refield Ratios - Practical Application

Most of us have heard of the Redfield ratio, which states that marine plankton contain 116 atoms carbon to 16 atoms nitrogen to 1 atom phosphorous. This is a slightly variable, but otherwise stabile analysis of marine organic carbon-based life. You can read much more about it in the internet.

In the last couple of months I had decided to re-make my reef, which was over 13 years intact. In the process, which is still on-going, I moved the main organisms to a smaller tank while I redecorated. The resut was a general collapse of this smaller tank, partially due to the old live rock, partially due to overcrowding. Be as it may, the PO4 levels started to rise. As I use Vertex Pro-Bio pellets for my carbon dosing, the NO3 level was literally at 0. This exponentially growing change seemd like a good chance to monitor changes based on the Redfield Ratio.

As carbon was not an issue, I started dosing CaNO3 when the PO4 reached over 0.3, which is the highest my kit registers. The actual level could have been as high as 1.0ppm, but I didn't attempt to read in this range. The levels were critical enough.

I made a solution of CaNO3, calcium nitrate, which is a simple fertilizer found in garden centres. In theory, one could use ammonium or another nitrate as a source, such as sodium nitrate. The actual concentration of the solution was not perfectly calculated, as I knew more or less what I wanted, which is about 100g in 500ml, a strong solution. I added this in small amounts over a 24 hour period to bring the NO3 level to 5ppm, which is the top of my testing range. I tested after each dosis to make sure I didn't overshoot my goal.

After two days the NO3 level has dropped very little, about 1ppm, but the PO3 has dropped to 0.15, about a 50% reduction! Clearly a positive result.

Many have used this method to balance their nutrient levels, but most haven't given any simple, practical guidelines with expected results. I hope to underline the ease of this kind of dosing to bring the PO4 level under control when dosing with a carbon source, particularly a solid source (bio-pellets), which tends to favour the assimilation of nitrogen vs phosphorous. Although the mixing of a specific NO3 solution should remain consistent, the actual concentration is less important than the application and dosing regimen.

1 Kommentar:

  1. That is really good and informative blog, refield ratio is something new to me and I need to do more research on it. Thank you for sharing it

    AntwortenLöschen